HOW TO RECONDITION A BATTERY
When a battery gets old, some people think that it is supposed to be thrown but that is not the case. It is possible recondition a battery and have it functioning 100%. It is a procedure which is simple and anyone can do it. Only a few gadgets and some items for one to get a battery which is completely new. The components that are required for reconditioning are voltmeter, distilled water, syringe and a battery charger.
- One is then required to remove the battery’s rubber which is used to protect the cap. Ensure that you remove all the caps where some batteries have up to 7 caps.
- Fill the battery with distilled water then charge it for one hour until you start seeing bubbles in the holes. While undertaking this procedure ensure that you have not returned the caps. If you do not see the bubbles, reverse positive and negative wires then wait for 2 minutes. After you see the bubbles return the wires in their right positions then charge the battery again for an additional thirty minutes.
- Replace the acid which is inside the battery with an acid which is new with distilled water then ensure that you recharge this battery for some few hours.
In the case of a laptop battery you will be required to remove the battery from your laptop and place it in a plastic bag. Place this plastic bag that has the battery in it in a freezer then wait for twelve hours. Remove it from the plastic bag then clean it and finally return it to the laptop then charge it until it is full. If your battery is not leaking then it does not have acid around it. This procedure is cheaper and easier hence you will end up the costs on a new battery. There are laptops that will need to be “reset” for them to have a battery life that is better. Here you will charge your battery to 100% then leave it for 2-3 hours. Leave the laptop while it is unplugged and wait for the battery to be completely empty and leave it for 5 hours in this state. Recharge the laptop again until it gets to 100%. This is a solution that is known to increase the life of a battery.
You can also decide to recondition your battery if you are having an old one in your car and has a voltage which is low. This could be a simple meaning that it is time to restore it. Restoring a car battery is important as it saves your money and time. The batteries of a car are lead batteries which simply means that these batteries are having lead-acid cores hence they can suffer from sulfation as times passes. Sulfation is when there is sulfur which has accrued on lead plates in the battery’s casing. When the amount of sulfur corrosion is not too much, one can opt to restore the battery. When restoring your battery, you will need baking soda, power drill, Epsom salt, storage container which is non-metallic, a storage funnel which is not metallic, safety glasses, replacement plugs which are made of plastic, wrench, gloves, water, battery charger for the lead acid batteries and distilled water.
- Turn off your car and ensure that the battery cools down for around one hour.
- Open car hood then use the wrench in detaching your cable for negative battery then followed by positive cable. Ensure that you do not touch the wrench with any other part which is metallic in order to ensure that you do not have an electricity jolt.
- Remove your battery from where it is placed in the car. Remove the cell caps which are made of plastic which are on the upper part of the battery. Find the sealed cells location with the power drill that you have. Wear your work gloves then turn this battery upside down on a storage which is metallic in order to drain this fluid which is inside.
- Put baking soda in this battery fluid in small increments using a tablespoon which is meant to neutralize it. When bubbling stops in this fluid, tightly close this container then dispose it.
- Take Epsom salt then stir one of its part in three parts distilled water that is warm till you have a quart of the magnesium sulfate solution. Insert the non-metallic funnel in the open battery cells then pour this solution in the battery cells.
- Clip the negative and the positive terminals on their respective terminals. Let the charger dial to 12 volts then turn the charger on. The trickle should charge for 12 hours before you turn it off or unclipping the leads from the terminals.
- Return the caps and use plastic plugs for them to cover the holes that have been drilled.